November 17th, 2008

bacon and leek mini quiches

quiche 5

thanksgiving is just over a week away, and i think i’ve found my contribution to the big meal.

leeks 3

these are one of those appetizers that never make it to the guests outside of the kitchen – people will wrestle each other to the ground for a good mini quiche. the only possible rival to the mini quiche is the pig in a blanket (another specialty of mine). why leeks? besides being an amazing fall crop, when the weather gets chillier, i get cravings for the nostalgic flavors of potato and leek soup. why bacon? honestly, i can’t think of a single dish that can’t be improved with bacon (including potato and leek soup).

bacon 1

quiches were actually invented by the germans – the word “quiche” comes from “kuchen,” german for cake. it has since been adapted by the french and has become a blank slate for any kind of meat or veggie you can think of. originally, german chefs used an actual cake as a base, but in it’s modern form, quiches usually have some kind of puff pastry. i’ve provided a very simple butter/flour/cream cheese crust recipe, but store-bought puff pastry certainly works just as well (they happened to be out of it when i went to the store).

qiuche 1

quiche 2

at the rate i’ve been eating these quiches,  i’ll need to make a new batch every other day or so. if you’re looking for a quick and easy thanksgiving appetizer, look no farther. you might want to make a secret batch just for yourself so you actually get to have a few.

quiche 12

bacon and leek quiches
makes 12 regular-size or 24 mini-cupcake-size cups

crust
1/2 cup butter
3 oz cream cheese
1 cup flour

quiche filling
3 eggs
1 cup half and half
2 large leeks
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 small onion, diced
3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper to taste

1. make the crust: soften the butter and cream cheese in the microwave. mix in the flour and form into a ball. refrigerate for 1 hour while you make the filling.

2. clean, peel and dice up the leeks. saute in on medium heat with the diced onion with a little splash of olive oil until the leeks soften.

3. whisk the eggs and cream in a large bowl. add the leek mixture, crumbled bacon, cheese and salt and pepper. mix to coat everything in egg.

4. divide the chilled dough into 12 equal pieces (24 if using mini-cupcake tins). butter and flour the cupcake tins and press the dough into them to cover the bottom and sides. pour in the quiche mixture to fill each cup. bake at 400 F for 20-25 minutes.

21 Comments for bacon and leek mini quiches - why not leave some love?

1. Donna says:

Lokks so good. I might try this with spinach too.

2. Y says:

MMm… I’ve been seeing a lot of bacony foods lately. Makes me hungry! Yummmy looking quiches! I love cream cheese pastry too.

3. liz says:

your food inspires me like nothing else!!! thank you.

4. Dad says:

I’m waiting to taste these on Thanksgiving, Pete. Let’s see…bacon, cheese and leeks, I guess the leeks justify the other ingredients. Keep cookin’

5. Christina says:

Sounds really good, and the crust couldn’t be any easier. I especially like the leeks.

6. Nick says:

What a fantastic idea. These would be good for a thanksgiving day-after brunch. You could even have people make their own… some customizations!

Nice idea Pete.
    Nick

7. dawn says:

i love food that can be miniaturized…these are perfect, and easy as pie to make.

8. Donna says:

I bought all the things to make these little babies today. I’ve never eaten leeks before, I’m excited to try something new. They just look so delicious I have to give them a try.

9. mmmbacon says:

those look great – thanks for the recipe! if you need more bacon goodness checkout bacontalk at: https://community.bacontalk.com

10. [...] Bacon and leek mini quiches look like a great starter for the holidays – enjoy! Share this [...]

11. Wow! That is the recipe what I want! very tasty! Thank you ;)

12. BECCA says:

I’D LOV FOR THESE RECIPES TO COME TO MY E-MAIL, I LOV MINI QUICHES!!!!! THANKS, BECCA

13. BECCA says:

SORRY HAD WRONG E-MAIL ADDRESS!!!! BECCCA WOULD LOV THESE RECIPES SENT TO ME!! I FOUND THIS SITE BY ACCIDENT & MAY NEVER FIND IT AGAIN . . . .THANKS, BECCA

14. Kelly says:

I am very impressed with your photos in these recipes! I think these photo recipes would be great to print off for young people leaving the home! It is more inspiring for people to try out the recipes because of how you have put these together visually. I have a lot of appreciation for all you have put into this! I signed up for the emails. TY. ~Kelly

15. Steph says:

Since I can’t eat all 12 or 24 quiches in one sitting… how do I keep them until the future mornings? Fridge or Freezer? Also, do you have an idea of how long they will keep?

16. Cindy says:

These look delicious!!

One small question…being a beginner in cooking and all..
    The recipie says:1 cup half and half…
    and I’m not sure what it is?

Thanks in advance!

17. [...] written by a guy, which is always nice, and his recipes are great. I’m going to make this bacon and leek mini quiche on Sunday. Sounds delicious, [...]

18. dennis says:

can someone tell me in the recipe for mini bacon and leek quiche what the ingredient “1 cup half and half” is please used in the filling for the quiche.

19. [...] better way to ring in the new year than with bacon? These bacon and leek mini quiches from Pete Bakes! use a crust that even the most kitchen-phobic host(ess) can [...]

20. [...] of times since then. You can find the original recipe here (along with much better pictures): Pete Bakes!. I tweaked it slightly, adding more bacon (like I said issues) and upping the crust quotient [...]

21. Thank you for this great]interesting post. I really very much liked reading it.

© 2014 pete bakes! | powered by WordPress with Barecity | about | recipes | archives | RSS