January 2nd, 2009

mini spanakopita wonton-thingers

spanakopita after 2

it’s officially the new year and i’m officially behind schedule already! after spending a week in the unseasonable warmth of the great northeast, i’m back home, a few christmas presents (baking toys) richer and watching a law and order: svu marathon, trying to figure out how many hours i’ll be spending in the kitchen this weekend. i’ve got some incredible butter and bacon filled treats coming soon, but as it’s the new year, i thought i would give you something that’s at least a little bit healthy (i use that term very loosely). i’ve actually had this post saved as a draft for a few months now but it’s perfect for any season. hope you had a great new year!

spanakopita before 1

for a few months straight in college, my roommates and i would make spanakopita just about every other day. it’s one of the simplest recipes around and it usually disappears in a matter of minutes. if you want to “class up” spanakopita for a party, here’s an equally easy and delicious recipe that guests can grab and go. you can also do what the girl and i did and just eat about 50 of them for dinner. the puff pastry crisps up perfectly and the feta gives it a great bite.

spanakopita after 3

mini spanakopita wonton-thingers
adapted from Kalofagas. makes about 24.

1 pckg puff pastry
1 small container feta cheese
8 oz frozen spinach
16 oz ricotta cheese
1 red onion, sliced and diced very small
salt and pepper to taste

1. take the puff pastry out of the fridge to thaw while you start on the filling.

2. thaw the spinach in the microwave. wrap the thawed spinach in a paper towel and squeeze out the excess water. place it in a large bowl. add the diced onion, ricotta and feta cheeses. you don’t have to use all of the feta or ricotta – just add a bit at a time and taste as you go. season with salt and pepper.

3. unroll the thawed puff pastry on a work surface and cut into 24 squares. press the squares into cupcake tins and fill with the spinach and cheese filling.

4. bake at 350 F for about 15 minutes or until the puff pastry cups are golden brown. you can make these ahead of time and freeze in a ziploc bag until you’re ready to go.

14 Comments for mini spanakopita wonton-thingers - why not leave some love?

1. darrin says:

Those look awesome! but by “make these ahead of time”, do you mean you bake, freeze, and reheat? or freeze raw then bake? I would assume the latter, as I doubt puff pastry reheats well but I want to check.

2. Julia says:

They look very good! I wish I could afford to make them but I am out of work till Jan6 so my paycheck will be two weeks from then.

3. Amanda says:

one word: YUM!

4. Judith says:

Oh man, I love the idea of cheating spanakopita, I really do.

5. Alison says:

Thanks Pete for another great recipe!! I made the original recipe once and found it to be too time consuming! You narrowed it down with lots less steps. I now feel I can make this in no time and enjoy the same flavor……WOW Heaven!! Again Thanks for sharing

6. oh they look yummy, Pete.
    also? you were a posh lot up at your college, weren’t you?
    i thought college students lived on toast and bags of crisps?

7. Stephanie says:

Hey, I wandered on over here from Tastespotting. Love the blog and the tiny spanakopitas!

8. Marcie says:

These look awesome and will be coming out of my oven tomorrow night.

9. mary says:

These look delicious and easy to make. I have completely overlooked using puff pastry in my kitchen–something I clearly need to change.

Thanks for the encouraging words on the bread baking, btw. I’m going to stick with it. We’ll see.

10. These do sound quite simple and delicious! I think they would be wonderful with a little fresh dill and diced red pepper addition. Yum.

11. foodhoe says:

Howdy Pete. Those look really good, and I’m looking forward to reading about butter and bacon filled treats too

12. Dee Miller says:

Ooooh! These look really good. I just did a search for spanakopita recipes and I like the looks of this much better than anything I already found! Great timing. Thanks.

13. Ruby says:

Very fun way to enjoy spanikopita! I bet the kids would love this too, I imagine I will be finding out soon. Thanks much for the fun blog.

14. Gretchen says:

I made these for a St Pat’s Day party and they were a HUGE hit. They are so delicious! I’m making them this weekend for an Easter gathering and I’ll be doing miniature versions(mini muffin pan). The regular sizes were delicious but very filling as hors d’oeuvres!

© 2017 pete bakes! | powered by WordPress with Barecity | about | recipes | archives | RSS