February 17th, 2009

pepperoni bread

pepperoni bread

in these uncertain economic times, there are few things you can count on, but it’s comforting to know that some things will never change. pepperoni bread: so good you can use it as currency.

pepperoni bread

pepperoni bread

i’m always amazed to find people that haven’t tried pepperoni bread before. there are tons of variations, some featuring other meats – pushing it dangerously into stromboli territory – and some with a combination of italian spices. i’m a pepperoni bread purist, so this one is straight up bread, pepperoni and mozzarella. trust me, it’s all you need.

pepperoni bread

it’s a deceptively simple recipe that will make you some new friends – it’s one of those dishes that never actually makes it out of the kitchen to the party. you’ll have guests hovering over the oven like vultures – so make sure you keep a few loaves for yourself.

pepperoni bread

pepperoni bread
makes 2 loaves. keep one for yourself.

1 loaf frozen bread dough (i used bridgford frozen white bread)
8oz sliced pepperoni
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 egg (for egg wash)
1 Tbsp water

1. thaw 1 loaf of frozen bread dough. divide in half and roll out into 2 rectangles, about 1/3 inch thick. layer with half of the pepperoni and cheese.

2. roll the loaves like jelly rolls (from the long side) and pinch to seal. combine the water and egg, whisk, and brush on the loaves.

3. bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. cut into slices and serve immediately.

22 Comments for pepperoni bread - why not leave some love?

1. Nick says:

I don’t know if I’ve ever wanted something on this site so badly as this. I want this for breakfast right now.

It looks like those are going to be overstuffed but then voila! Somehow it all fits. Love it.

-Nick

2. Sarah says:

I want to hover like a vulture! This bread looks so good!

3. Y says:

Haven’t had peperoni bread before. Now I feel like I”m missing out!

4. dawn says:

I’m amazed too at how many people haven’t had or heard about pepperoni bread. I love it, and I love that it’s sooo easy to make.

5. pepsakoy says:

Looks soo delicious !

6. Michelle says:

Great photos, great recipe, and I love your avatar.
    Michelle

7. sweetbird says:

Oh dear, this is giving me heart palpitations…I must make this.

8. Carina says:

Um…hello! This looks AMAZING. You can never argue with the dough, pork, and cheese combo;)

9. Sara says:

Hi Pete,
    This looks amazing. I love pepperoni bread, but I have never made my own. I have a feeling that is not going to be true for long :)

p.s. I am also a DC food blogger – yay :)

10. Sara says:

I am one of those people who have never tried this. I am going to have to change that quick.

11. veggiebaker says:

Pete,
    I love your recipes, but please keep baking stuff without meat, too. Thanks!

12. Marianne Lund says:

Hey Pete, Lovely, jummy things…do you know how to bake bread? Check out the Tasahara Bread Book….love your stuff…and congratulations to your mom. She raised a great one…sais the mom of 4! Keep baking, we will keep using your recipes…can’t wait for the book. Marianne

13. [...] Pepperoni Bread – I’ve had various versions of Pepperoni bread and while it is pretty easy to make, it isn’t easy to make right.  You want enough pepperoni to be very flavorful, but if you over-stuff then you will just have a mess on your hands.  Getting a loaf with a crunchy crust is also tough.  This is pretty much spot on I think. (@ Pete bakes) [...]

14. [...] pepperoni bread recipe pete bakes Posted by root 22 hours ago (http://www.peterandrewryan.com) Michelle http oneordinaryday wordpress com keep baking we will keep using your recipes can 39 t wait for the book leave a comment click here to cancel reply name required salty girl cooks middot so good middot tart reform middot the arugula files middot t Discuss  |  Bury |  News | pepperoni bread recipe pete bakes [...]

15. Tiffany says:

I just make it and it was pretty good, although I can’t believe I am saying this…it was too much pepperoni! I think I’ll try it with ham and cheese next time.

16. Jay says:

I love fresh bread… good stuff!

17. It is best to take part in a contest for among the finest blogs on the web. I’ll recommend this site!

18. Vous pouvez imaginer la douleur et les blessures qu’un joueur peut obtenir quand il joue, sans les gants de baseball

19. vue de face montrant sur un fond blanc. Le visage doit être comprise entre 1 et 1 3 / 8 pouces à partir du menton au sommet de la tête. Chapeaux, coiffures et uniformes, sauf mot de vêtements religieux quotidiens ne peuvent pas être portés.

20. But there is a great article which I recommend to read.

21. sidra says:

Things don’t have to change the world to be important.
    dissertation editing

© 2014 pete bakes! | powered by WordPress with Barecity | about | recipes | archives | RSS