June 10th, 2009

cheesy, savory monkey bread

cheesy savory monkey bread

all of the best foods have “bizzaro” versions: regular pizza has dessert pizza, apple pie has chicken pot pie, and monkey bread has…savory monkey bread (though if you’re looking for a really good sweet monkey bread recipe, go HERE). this works out great, because while i have a serious sweet tooth, the girl usually prefers more savory flavors.

cheesy savory monkey bread

just like sweet monkey bread, the dough is a cinch to bring together. i used green onion and parley with a bit of greyere cheese, but any combination of herbs works. i could see adding some crumbled bacon as well…

cheesy savory monkey bread

when we were kids, the best part of making monkey bread was tearing it into tiny pieces and rolling it in cinnamon and sugar. with savory monkey bread, you roll the pieces in herb butter.

cheesy savory monkey bread

then you arrange all the dough pieces in a pan, and brush them with more butter. right before baking, you give it yet another brush of butter. i guess it goes without saying, but the finished monkey bread is incredibly buttery and rich. this would be great dish to just put out and snack on with some friends.

cheesy savory monkey bread

cheesy savory monkey bread

and finally, i think i mentioned briefly last week that i was moving soon – well it’s happening this weekend. i’m saying goodbye to my current kitchen and hello to my new one. pro: i now have a dishwasher! con: i now have an electric range. it may take some time to adjust.

cheesy savory monkey bread

cheesy, savory monkey bread
adapted from Chris Pandel’s Monkey Bread with Dill, Butter and Sea Salt. makes one loaf pan full.

2 Tbsp warm water
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
2 1/4 cups flour
1/3 tsp salt
1/2 cup whole milk
1 egg
1 Tbsp plus 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted (keep them separate)
3 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
3 Tbsp spring onion, chopped
2 cups grated gruyere cheese

1. mix yeast, sugar, and warm water in a small mixing bowl. set aside for ten minutes to allow yeast to proof (bubbles will form at the surface).

2. mix flour and salt in large mixing bowl. set bowl on mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment (or use a spoon and some elbow grease). with the mixer set on medium speed, slowly add the proofed yeast mixture to the dry ingredients, followed by the milk, egg, and 1 Tbsp melted butter. add 1 Tbsp of the parsley, 1 Tbsp of the onion and 1 cup of the cheese.

3. mix on medium speed just until the dough releases from the side of the bowl, about 6-to-8 minutes. knead dough together lightly with your hands. transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm place. allow dough to rise for 25-30 minutes.

4. after 30 minutes, punch dough down and roll into balls, about 1 inch in diameter. mix 4 Tbsp of the melted butter with the remaining parsley, spring onion and gruyere, roll balls in the mixture, and arrange in a lightly greased loaf pans. allow loaves to rise once more in a warm spot for 30 minutes.

5. Brush loaves again with melted butter. Bake in a 375F oven for 35 minutes, brushing twice throughout the baking with any remaining melted butter. serve monkey bread hot out of the oven.

35 Comments for cheesy, savory monkey bread - why not leave some love?

1. Carrie says:

What an awesome idea. You’re right, it would be great to snack on this with friends or have it with some pizza. Yum!

2. Risa says:

This really sounds delicious. I hope the move goes well!

3. Adrienne says:

YOWza. That looks great – and good luck with the move! Mine is coming up in August so I feel your pain :)

4. Lucy C says:

I’m much more of a savory person and this looks so good! I will be trying this next time the girls come round for a movie night. Thanks for sharing.

5. Thanks so much! I can’t wait to make this! Looks absolutely delicious. Shall report back. Anxious to hear others comments too! Let’s bake!

6. Krystal says:

that looks fantastic, and a creative option to the bread with pasta I think. And good luck with your move AND electric range. it took me a LONG time to get used to mine, and I still would rather cook on a gas any day.

7. marta says:

hello peter,i am marta from slovakia,i just tryied your cheesy monkey bread,it was delicious…i am your big fan,your recipes are great!!!

8. […] cheesy, savoury monkey bread ~ pete […]

9. I never thought about making a savory monkey bread. Such a great idea.

10. Sarah says:

Made this a little while ago and thoroughly enjoyed it! We used Havarti and Parmesan instead because that is what we had. It was gone within the day.

11. Awesome. I’m going to make this with my kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. dekvip says:

This really sounds delicious. I hope the move goes well!

13. Thanks so much! I can’t wait to make this! Looks absolutely delicious. Shall report back.

14. Baking Baked says:

BOMBAY! Have done this twice and the second time I forgot to put the cheese in the dough….. all cheese used in herb dredge and sprinkled on top. Very nice. Oh by the way, neither loaf made it out of the kitchen.

15. EDoty says:

Seriously Soooooooo Good! This is the first thing I made from this website and I can’t wait to make more. Thanks for making such an excellent website!

16. electric range is much better than gas range because it does not produce smoke ::

17. Shelby says:

can the dough be made ahead and baked off later??

18. Bonnie says:

Sounds good I usually make the sweet version but I’ll try this for Christmas. thanks.

19. Maureen says:

Bread making is a real challenge but the outcomes are very rewarding. Will try this savory bread. This seems to be a mouthwatering treat.

20. Just about all of what you articulate happens to be supprisingly appropriate and that makes me ponder the reason why I hadn’t looked at this in this light before. This piece truly did switch the light on for me personally as far as this specific issue goes. Nonetheless at this time there is 1 factor I am not too comfy with so while I attempt to reconcile that with the core idea of the issue, permit me observe exactly what the rest of your readers have to say.Well done.

21. Recently, we’ve noticed an increasing demand for a new product that does not get enough attention at this moment. We decided to offer this new service – and to do it better, easier and cheaper than anyone else.

22. Dino Hartson says:

Good post. I study one thing more difficult on different blogs everyday. It would always be stimulating to read content material from other writers and practice slightly something from their store. I’d choose to use some with the content material on my weblog whether or not you don’t mind. Natually I’ll offer you a link in your internet blog. Thanks for sharing.

23. you have an interesting post on savory monkey bread recipe | pete bakes!..I’ll bookmark http://www.peterandrewryan.com/baking/2009/06/cheesy-savory-monkey-bread and check back again for more new stuff..thanks from Magnesium Supplement:)

24. strongzz I like the valuable info you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check again here frequently. I am quite certain I’ll learn a lot of new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

25. merry says:

Yummy…….
    I am more foody
    It creates gel in my tongue

very nice

26. Alton Lanois says:

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d definitely donate to this superb blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to brand new updates and will talk about this blog with my Facebook group. Talk soon!

27. Very Yummy yummy food
    Now I cant wait to take it ..
    Thanks for this testy stuff.

28. I got what you intend, regards for posting .Woh I am lucky to find this website through google. “The test and use of a man’s education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind.” by Carl Barzun.

29. thefunofit says:

I have no oven – oocupational hazard of living in a country wholly devoted to stove cooking. I do, however, have a bread maker that has a bake setting. It seems as though I have been searching for this recipe all my life – it’s perfect for easy baking with limited resources.

30. i wanted to give a gigantic shout out to everyone who donated to the susan g komen breast cancer 5k last week. if it was possible for me to give hugs through the internet, please know that i would. it was a fun event and you all really came through. you guys are the best.

31. Thank you for your links Kickettes!!

32. Is this normal? Do you understand why lots of birds, primarily fledglings are coming to you?

33. Ah, that explains why no 1 has come to harvest!

© 2014 pete bakes! | powered by WordPress with Barecity | about | recipes | archives | RSS