September 17th, 2008

english muffins

english muffins 1

i’ll be honest, i’m not much of a morning person. i’m much more likely to be up until 3 or 4 in the morning and then sleep until lunchtime – except for weekdays, in which case I go to bed around 3 or 4 and drag myself out of bed for work at 8:30. it doesn’t sound too healthy, but it works for me. on days when i actually wake up early enough for breakfast, i’m still not very hungry for it. but one of the few things that can interest me in the morning is an english muffin.

english muffin dough

there’s something about melted butter flooding over the crispy toasted peaks of warm nooks and crannies that is completely irresistible. even commercials for thomas’ english muffins have me salivating. luckily, this recipe was even easier to tackle than i thought, and i probably won’t ever buy them from the store again.

english muffin on griddle 1english muffin on griddle 2

it’s so rewarding to see a recipe come out to look and taste like the real thing. there was a moment when i was cooking them on the skillet and i got giddy seeing the perfectly toasted cornmeal crusted english muffins really take shape. it’s a moment that makes you think “why isn’t everyone making their own bread?” please, please, please try these out this weekend.

english muffins 2

is there anything better than smothering an english muffin (or three) with butter? maybe adding delicious grape jelly is your thing. or topping with a fried egg. or maybe you want an open face ham and cheese sandwich? i forgot how little self control i have around these little fluffy muffins. i’m going to have to make more before the week is out.

english muffins 5

english muffins 4

english muffins
you won’t ever buy thomas’ again. recipe from Peter Reinhart’s The Bread Baker’s Apprentice.

2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp instant yeast
1 Tbsp shortening or butter (at room temperature)
3/4 – 1 cup milk (at room temperature)
cornmeal for sprinkling

1. in a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, salt and yeast. mix in the shortening and 3/4 cup of the milk. add the remaining milk if the dough is too dry.

2. transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes. place in a lightly oiled bowl and roll to coat. cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise for about an hour. divide the dough into 6 equal pieces and shape into balls. lay parchment paper on a baking sheet and spray or lightly coat with oil and sprinkle with cornmeal. move the dough balls to the baking sheet evenly spaced apart (giving them room to rise more). cover the pan loosely with plastic wrap and allow them to rise for another hour.

3. heat the oven to 350 F and heat up a skillet on medium heat on the stovetop. brush the skillet with oil and gently transfer the dough balls to the skillet a few at a time. allow them to cook on the skillet for 5-8 minutes, until the bottoms are nicely browned. carefully flip and cook the other side for about 5-8 minutes more. they should flatten as they cook.

4. when the muffins look as if they are about to burn, remove them from the skillet with a spatula and transfer quickly to a baking sheet. bake at 350 for 5-8 minutes. do not wait until all of the muffins have been cooked on the skillet before moving them to the oven – as the first batch is baking, move the second batch of muffins to the skillet.

5. transfer the baked muffins to a cooling rack and let cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing or serving. serve with lots of butter and jelly. store them as you would muffins you buy in the store – in a sealed ziploc bag in the fridge or freezer.

83 Comments for english muffins - why not leave some love?

1. Y says:

Those certainly look like the real deal :)

2. barbara says:

Nice looking muffins. Here’s a recipe you could try where you make the dough the night before and shape and cook the muffins in the morning.

3. IMR says:

Hi Pete,

For the yeast, is the measurement 1 1/4 tablespoon or teaspoon?

I plan on trying these out this weekend. I’ll serve them with burgers.

4. These look wonderful. I love to make my own bread but to date have not tried muffins. I’ve printed off the recipe and I will be trying these. Thank you

5. petebakes says:

@IMR – it’s teaspoon, thanks for the catch! i’ve updated the recipe.

6. These look perfect. I’m going to make them for breakfast tomorrow!

7. Amazing! I never imagined English muffins could be easy to make at home! I’m definitely trying this over the weekend. Thanks!

8. Graeme says:

I’m just glad to see Cornmeal sprinkled on the top. It’s just not the same without.

Those are beautiful.

9. jo says:

These look wonderful! Just by looking at the pictures, an image of McDonald’s sausage McMuffins comes to mind.

10. Samantha says:

These look utterly amazing! I am going to surely try this recipe! Thanks for sharing!!

11. Alex says:

They look fantastic.

12. chiff0nade says:

I love English muffins. I think I would have loved your post about English muffins.

But, I can hardly read it because you chose NOT to use capitalization rules.

Why is that? Are you trying to make some kind of political statement????

GEEZZZZ.

Louise, (“therealchiffonade”)
    Clearwater, florida
    Senior Adviser, the SeriousEats Website.

• Connor says:

Those english muffins look amazing! I have used another recipe for the ingredients; they are doing their first rise as I type this. After I set them to rise, I saw your recipe and I will continue the recipe following your instructions. As for the person who made the comment about not being able to read it because you chose not to abide by capitalization rules, come on! chiff0nade, if you cannot read something because of a few missing capital letters, perhaps a psychiatrist is better suited for you than an optometrist.

• american pride says:

GEEZZZZ

Come on chiff0nade, no capitalization, it is a political statement about using words that even spell check catches. GEEZZZZ

13. Lori says:

Wow those look fabulous. I have this cook book. I am kicking myself for not trying them sooner. They look amazing.

14. Hillary says:

We sound so similar! I rarely eat breakfast because I’m never hungry for it in the morning and always have to run out of the house for work but the other day, my mom was toasting up some English muffins and they looked sooo good!

15. Judy says:

You inspired me to give english muffins a try – but I use the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day dough – All I can say is OH…….MY……..GOD!!! I actually got nooks and crannies!!

16. Judy says:

17. Gillian says:

I just made them this evening and ate one…it was delicious, and I can’t wait to try another one toasted with jam. I remember making english muffins when I was little, but I don’t remember them being that easy to make. Also, the dough was such a great consistency to knead… much denser and silkier than the dough of the raisin bread I made recently. I just might try your recipe for wheat bread next…my fiance doesn’t seem to be impressed with my bread-making explorations unless it means that I can make him bread for sandwiches.

Tell The Girl I said hi :)

18. […] next day I made English muffins from Pete BakesI won’t put the recipe here. Just follow the link. These were […]

19. […] to make english muffins. dunno why, they just sounded good to me. so i surfed around until i found this, and tried the recipe. yum. […]

20. Aisha says:

I was looking for the easiest to make English Muffin and I’m so glad I found your site. My husband loved it and I just want to thank you for sharing this recipe. :) Made me so happy! You’re the best!

21. john y says:

I’m trying the bread and muffins
    I’ll let you know how they turn out.

22. Giddy says:

I came upon your site while surfing for English Muffin recipe. It’s the one thing not in the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes book. Lordy, I love that book. I just took the European Peasant bread out of the oven and we’re having that for lunch! I’ve bookmarked your site and will check in often. Will try the Pete Thins recipe next, but I think I’ll try it without the sugar.

23. john y says:

Baked the muffins twice looked and tasted great both timesbut no nooks and crannies:(.

24. Hi, I tried your recipe and my muffins turned out perfect! Just rougher-looking than yours.Thanks!

You can peep at my blog for a pic if you are interested.

25. Hey there,
    Hey there Pete. I am a young aspiring baker as well! I really enjoyed this recipe very much. I wanted to make my mother’s sour dough English muffins but didn’t have time to make starter so this was a welcome substitute.

I am very far away(in Istanbul away from Seattle) from home so baking brings me back!
    Thanks for this. My blog is not related to baking but I think I will post about this anyway.

26. Shawn says:

Thanks so much pete my muffins came out beautiful they look just like yours. The only thing was mines came out a little bland i was wondering if i should put in a little more salt since i used unsalted butter. The texture was amazing. My family is very much in to english muffins and already asked for more and there was still 3 on the table. The store bought ones are too expensive and im stoked i can make them now! Thanks again cant wait to try the rest of your stuff.

27. Calypso says:

Pete – Made these last weekend! Thank you for posting this, we loved them.

28. pops says:

OHMIGOSH!!! English muffins! Thank you so much for the recipe! I stumbled on your site while looking for more information on alternatives to pizza stones and found this! I have to make this!

Keep up the great work and lovely mouth-watering pictures

29. Deb Poarch says:

I found your site looking for English Muffin recipes. What great pictures! I can’t wait to try the recipie.

Thanks!

30. Nina says:

Pete … we must be crossing each other’s paths at night. I have the same sleep/stay up late schedule as you do. Fortunately I no longer have to struggle to get up for work at 7:00AM. My husband is a day person and thinks that I am nuts…. nice to see that there are other night owls like me. I do my best thinking, reading, cleaning and cooking, in the middle of ‘their night. I will try your muffins this week – thanks.

31. Nina says:

P.S. I have never been able to figure out why people wake up early just to eat breakfast – especially when on vacation or traveling.

32. sarah says:

wow… i just found your site by googling “english muffin recipe”, thinking maybe i’d find a way to lessen the strain of my costly english muffin addiction. these are just exactly like store-bought, but better because they’re more substantial! thanks so much for posting… now if you can just figure out a recipe for a bacon-peanut butter-infused english muffin, i’ll die happy.

33. Allie Cat says:

I’ve been browsing the web for ever to find a REAL English muffin recipe! You just saved my breakfast! Thank you!!

34. Lyanthya says:

THANK YOU! I just moved to the UK, and ironically, they don’t sell English muffins here.

35. Allie Cat says:

@ Lyanthya:
    Maybe your local supermarket doesn’t sell them, but trust me, they DO sell muffins in England. It’s just that they’re simply called muffins, not English muffins, and you can find them in the bread section of supermarkets.
    I don’t know where you live in the UK, but you can also find them at any Marks & Spencer’s that has a food section.
    Hope that helps

• Lyanthya says:

Thanks. I’m in Scotland, and my Scottish husband told me that they aren’t available here. Guess I’ll look a little harder.

36. This recipe is absolutely superb. I had some rugby players from England staying as guests in my home, and so I went out of my way to make them feel at home – providing English muffins. They said they really liked them, but they’d never heard of them before.
    :-)

• AllieCat says:

Maybe because in England, they’re not called “English muffins,” just “muffins” ;)

• Lyanthya says:

That may be in some parts of the UK, but here in Scotland, just plain “muffins” are the same as “muffins” in the US. I did look, and that was all I found.

37. mike says:

Very nice! We’ve been making our own bagels for a while, but we still buy english muffins. We need to change that!

38. Jessica says:

I made these a couple days ago and while they taste fantastic with everything I eat them with…I have no nooks and crannies. My consistency is more like a biscuit. I wonder why that is? They didn’t seem to rise at all the second time around. My kitchen might be too cold.

39. […] adapted from Pete Bakes!, originally from The Bread Baker’s Apprentice by Peter […]

40. PeeJ says:

I learned how to make Engmuffs from my mother, thirty-some years ago. I don’t bake them at all, just cook them completely on the griddle. We use muffin-rings – preheat with the griddle for best results. I cook them on medium low, probably for a good bit longer than you do. Our dough is a bit wetter than yours appears. Still, it looks like you got the texture nailed!

For a real treat, try beating a couple tablespoons melted butter into the dough before the first raise.

Also, you want to go bonkers? Get yourself some Seville oranges and make your own marmalade. OMFG! NOM NOM NOM NOM
    Alas, Seville oranges are only available around Xmas.

• Hana says:

“As far as the name, we call them English Muffins because they resemble crumpets. They are in fact an Americanization of crumpets. I don’t think there’s no very close equivalent across the pond.”

Are you daft? English muffins have been made in the UK for over a 1,000 years. That’s why they’re ENGLISH muffins. The poem “The Muffin Man” didnt come from Shrek you know, it’s over 200 years old. Muffin men used to go from house to house selling their muffins during the 18th and 19th century.

41. they look yummmmmmmmmmmmm

42. Tina says:

I’ve enjoyed reading your blog so today I decided to try the English Muffins. I followed the recipe except for the baking part. My grandmother used to make these but never had a baking step. Plus my oven was occupied with other activities at the time. I also flattened them before putting them on a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cooked in 4 minute increments for a total of 16 minutes…they came out perfectly. I fork-split them which helps create the nooks and crannies and I didn’t wait anywhere close to 30 minutes before eating them. Delicious! Thank you for the recipe!

43. Eleanor says:

this recipe works great, thanks buddy :)

44. Margaret says:

Muffins look perfect. They are my favorite breakfast food.

45. […] not my first time to make these. In October 2008 I made English Muffins from a recipe I found at Pete Bakes. At the time I didn’t know about BBA and Peter Reinhart. And when I made them I didn’t […]

46. kirsten says:

I was looking for anything remotely special for my English hubby for Christmas. When we were living in Belgium we could go to the English shop, but now we live in Germany there is no English shop in town, so I decided to look for crumpets, or muffins to make for Christmas morning. Mince pies I already had on my list. My baking book did not even list muffins! What a shame! We are allowed to have scones in all kinds of tastes, but no crumpets or muffins. We tasted them this morning and my hubby said it was ‘a culinary triumph’. I’ll be checking this blog out regularly! Thanks for a wonderful Christmas morning breakfast. A merry Christmas to you all!

47. […] pulled together tonight, though, and now there are three jars of sunny marmalade waiting for English muffins – perhaps another weekend […]

48. […] too, can follow along at home now by going to Pete Bakes and checking out the English Muffin Recipe that I […]

49. Sian says:

Hihi! Some advice please – I made your beautiful looking muffins, but, mine turned out a little bit heavy and rock like, where did I go wrong? Danke shien in advance

50. Nabel1611 says:

Bland. Not enough salt? 2 and 1/4 CUPS of flour to 1/4 Teaspoon of salt? NO WAY.
    On the Almost No-Knead recipe there is 3 cups of flour and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt?
    That’s 1/2 Teaspoon per cup ratio?
    In the Bagel recipe there is 4 cups flour and 2 Teaspoon of salt.
    Same 1/2 Teaspoon ratio?
    The muffin recipe should be 1 1/8 Teaspoon? But what do I know. I know bland.

51. lockbow says:

Nabel1611:

I have a copy of Reinhart´s book and the recipe for English muffins(see, pROpEr CaPiTaliZaTioN so even Chiff0nade a.k.a the Troll Squad who thinks it’s OK to mix letters and num83r5 can read this post) gives 3/4 tsp salt. The 1/4 tsp is for yeast. Yes, 1/4 tsp, not 1 1/4 as stated above.

With the baker’s formula 3/4 tsp salt equals 1,9%, as compared to the bagel recipe from the same book which equals 2%. Just FYI the 1/4 tsp yeast equals 1.4%.

Sian:
    Not enough proofing? A low temp/draft in your kitchen? With a proper 2nd rise they should be light and airy. Look for a change in size rather than staring at the clock and you’ll be fine.

52. […] English muffins from The Bread Baker’s Apprentice by way of Pete […]

53. You made some amazing looking muffins, and I have to tell you I so much want to make them right now! I already have bread that I’m getting ready to shape and bake though, but I plan to make these in the next week or so. I’m hardly waiting! Thanks so much for the great recipe! :)

54. […] going to use this recipe, because it’s the only one I could find in my bookmarks that didn’t use a started, and […]

55. I have tried your recipe and we love it. I live in Mexico for six months a year and no English Muffins here! I make two batches at a time, one batch doesn’t last long. One thing I have found to be helpful for a crispy interior – I fork split each muffin after 20 mins. out of the oven. Easy to open and helps the dough to be firm on the inside. I also toast after a couple of days in the refrigerator – yummm. Looking forward to more of your recipes.

56. I used a cool rise method to let my dough rise because I was short on time. I stuck the dough in the fridge before I went to work, and then when we got home, I shaped them and put them on my electric griddle and then int he oven. They turned out great!!! :)

57. Bob Chance says:

None of the grocery stores in my area carry instant yeast. Is there a method for using active yeast? Would I warm the milk and disolve the yeast in that first, then add it to the dry ingredients?
    I’ve tried a couple other recipes. One turned out okay, minus the nooks and crannys. The other crashed and burned. Hope to try yours tomorrow.

58. Chas Antigua says:

“Thank you for sharing. I immediately recite attractive website’s your breathtaking worthy of note and informative topic. I especially appreciate your thought about it. It’s really thus helpful representing all”

59. […] by a delicious post from a fellow food blogger’s site, pete bakes!, I amended the recipe (originally from Peter Reinhart’s The Bread Baker’s Apprentice) […]

60. […] Benedict with Homemade English Muffins and Hollandaise Sauce Serves 6 English Muffin recipe from Pete Hollandaise Sauce recipe from […]

61. Please keep on dropping such quality storys as this is a rare thing to find these days. I am always searching online for storys that can help me. watching forward to another great blog. Good luck to the author! all the best!

62. […] go the main recipe from this site.  But there are several ways to make them, I just had those ingredients on hand.  I was lucky to […]

63. Shay says:

I just made these english muffins for my son & husband and they lived them! Thank you for the great & easy recipe!

64. […] http://www.peterandrewryan.com/baking/2008/09/english-muffins/ Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. This entry was posted in Breakfast, Western and tagged English Muffin. Bookmark the permalink. ← Homemade English Muffin […]

65. Eugenia says:

Have just finished making your English muffins and they look fantastic – hope they taste as good. Three things ; I put in more salt than you recommended 3/4 tsp.,used bread flour and because time caught up with me (had to make dinner), I punched down the dough and then put it in the refrigerator over night. Next day I divided the dough as shown and allowed it to rise for one hour before cooking them on the griddle. Did not put them in the oven.

66. […] Recipe adapted from Pete Bakes! […]

67. […] least 30 minutes before slicing or serving.  Store in an airtight container.Source: adapted from Pete Bakes!, originally from The Bread Baker’s Apprentice by Peter Reinhart  share on facebookpin […]

68. I like what you guys are usually up too. Such clever work
    and coverage! Keep up the superb works guys I’ve added you guys to my own blogroll.

69. […] pulled together tonight, though, and now there are three jars of sunny marmalade waiting for English muffins – perhaps another weekend […]

© 2014 pete bakes! | powered by WordPress with Barecity | about | recipes | archives | RSS