February 25th, 2009

dark chocolate peanut butter cups

peanut butter cups

i don’t want to brag, but my college roommates were pretty lucky. even before i started baking, my mom would send care packages stocked with brownies, chocolate chip cookies, candy and juice boxes. that isn’t to say i wasn’t completely lucky myself.

peanut butter cups

i had one roommate whose mother worked for a very popular candy company (whose name shall remain nameless). she actually worked her way up from taste tester. her care packages were unlike any other – instead of candy bars, we got entire candy displays. want a great way to make some new friends? let them in on the secret that you have 200 score bars just waiting to be eaten. did i just give away what company she works for? whoops.

peanut butter cups

we got a lot of great treats, including mystery candies in silver packages marked “prototype.” by far the best thing we had, though, were dark chocolate reese’s cups. there’s a fact you should know at this point: chocolate and peanut butter are the greatest combination to have ever happened. now that that’s out of the way, you can know this: dark chocolate and peanut butter is the most decadent combination to have ever happened.

peanut butter cups

i believe reese’s sold these for a very limited time, but i never actually saw them in stores. for years, i’ve been craving them, hoping they would make a triumphant return, but it looks like i’ll have to take things into my own hands. the recipe is dead simple and the finished cups will basically knock you on your butt. making your own candy sounds like a daunting task, but once you master these, soon you’ll be making up batches for your friends and family, who will shower you with gifts and admiration. hey, you deserve it.

peanut butter cups

dark chocolate peanut butter cups
makes 12-16 mini peanut butter cups.

12 oz bittersweet chocolate (60-70% cocoa)
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup crushed graham crackers

1. in a bowl, mix together the peanut butter, confectioners’ sugar and graham crackers. set aside.

2. in a double boiler, carefully melt the chocolate  (set a metal bowl on top of a saucepan with boiling water). alternatively, you can microwave the chocolate in short bursts.

3. using a pastry brush or a clean paintbrush, brush the melted chocolate on the bottom and sides of mini cupcake liners. it’s helpful to stack some the liners together to give more support. when in doubt, add more chocolate, since this will be the base for your candy. place the cupcake liners on a plate or in a cupcake tin and place in the freezer for 10 minutes.

4. remove the liners from the freezer, and place about one teaspoon of the peanut butter mixture in each cup. press down a bit with a spoon to spread. spoon more melted chocolate on top of each cup.

5. place the peanut butter cups back in the freezer for another 15 minutes to set. eat cold or let warm to room temperature before serving.

91 Comments for dark chocolate peanut butter cups - why not leave some love?

1. Adrienne says:

I wonder if using silicone baking cups would make it easier to brush the chocolate in… have you ever tried using them? I don’t do a ton of cupcake style baking (I’m more of a cookies or layer cake kind of gal) so I don’t own any.

2. Jane Doe says:

I remember seeing them in stores. It was at the same time that they were auditioning the white chocolate peanut butter cups. I bought one of each and tried them both. To this day I have no clue how the white chocolate variety was kept, but the dark was thrown out. Huh?

3. Pamela M says:

Those look DELICIOUS! I, too, remember the white chocolate ones coming out… even tried them, though I much prefer dark chocolate over any other kind.

Quick question, though, if I use, let’s say milk chocolate… would it be advisable, you think, to lessen the amount of confectioner’s sugar in the peanut butter filling?

4. Lauren says:

Looks delicious!

5. Risa says:

I think I just dies and went to Heaven. I have to make these. I am definitely jealous of your college roommate situation.

6. Em says:

These look great, pete! I make vegan pb cups for my roommates all the time. I use the silicon cupcake “papers” for them, and pat the peanut butter into little discs so they’re pretty. (I generally don’t like silicone, but for I don’t mind for these since I’m not actually baking in them and heating them up significantly.)

• Em is special says:

Really vegan ones. Are you retarded? They are pb cups. Now I know why I am not a vegan because my brain really would shrink.

• Margaret says:

Vegans do not eat animal products. Chocolate that has dairy product in it is therefore not vegan. Hence they must use vegan chocolate that does not have milk product additives.

Do know what you are talking about before you insult people.

• mspw says:

Um, there is no dairy in the dark chocolate called-for in this recipe.

Perhaps you should check your facts before you go posting them.

• FlatteBlack says:

mspw I don’t think you had to be so rude about it in the first place.

And those peanut butter cups look absolutely delectable.

7. WOAH — these look amazing! I think I have to make these tonight.

8. Michelle says:

Looking completely delicious!

9. Drita says:

These certainly do look very delicious. Just one quick question Pete – I live in Australia, and I don’t know what graham crackers are. Are they a sweet biscuit or a cracker and cheese type of cracker?

Love your work!

• petebakes says:

graham crackers are more of a sweet biscuit. if you don’t have any one hand, you can go without – they mainly add a little bit of texture to the peanut butter mixture. have fun!

• D. Sullivan says:

translation from US to UK/Austral/SAf/etc:
        graham crackers = digestive biscuits.

10. Sara says:

Wow, these look amazing. I love the dark chocolate. I will have to try these out with some homemade PB I just made.

11. Angie says:

Pete! Go to Canada, you can still get Reese’s peanut butter cups. We Canadians know a good thing when we see one.

12. Yael says:

OMG!! If I could eat nothing else in the world but peanut butter cups, I would be happy- and with dark chocolate! I’ve tried a variety of different recipes for PBC – this sounds like a winner. The pics are so tempting! Thanks!

13. Tina says:

I do believe my heart just skipped a beat. I doubt I’ll ever purchase a Reeses again. thanks for sharing.
    Lionwine.blogspot.com

14. Jennifer says:

That looks so easy!! Who knew??

I can’t wait to try that!

15. Biz says:

One word = YUM! And score candy bars are the best candy bar ever invented. Well, after a Heath bar!

16. Jennifer says:

peanut butter cups & dark chocolate…my favorite!!!

17. Bren says:

oh wow. i loooove this. peanut butter and dark chocolate! i recently made some fudge rum & grand marnier truffles. oh.my.

18. Pontch says:

Amazing!!
    this is my favorite candy and yours looks just like the real ones!

19. Melissa says:

Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups have to be my favorite candy ever. And with dark chocolate…I can only imagine how yummy they are! I am definitely going to try these.

20. Y says:

Those look great! I like the sound of the ‘prototype’ bars too :D

21. dawn says:

never tried them with dark choco
    I love the milk choco ones though.
    I was curious as to making these in silicone cups.

22. Alison says:

Love the photos of food. I made the peanut butter cups and used natural peanut butter with no salt or sugar added. I did add salt (3/4 tsp for a generous 1/3 C peanut butter) I did not add any additional sugar. Also I did not have graham crackers so I did not add those either. Pretty tasty!

23. Isa says:

Have been following your recipes for a while now, but you just handed me the perfect treat for my best friend for her b-day. She loves peanutbuttercups per se, but since we live in Austria, we cannot get them. I used to bring her some from vacation. She always said, she would like them even more with dark chocolate. So voilá, I will follow your footsteps!!
    thanks!!!
    Isa

24. kim says:

Found this article and thought you’d be interested.

Hurry up, June!

25. Anita says:

What a great idea! The recipe doesn’t look too difficult either, it would be great for parties.

26. […] dark chocolate peanut butter cup i don’t want to brag, but my college roommates were pretty lucky. even before i started baking, my mom would send care packages stocked with brownies, […]

27. Olivia says:

I’m pretty sure that Reese Cups are my favorite candy so these automatically look good in my opinion. I’m actually rather curious to see how the dark chocolate makes it taste..

28. Mallika says:

Yay! I love making homemade reeses. Here are some ideas to make them even easier to make courtesy of my friend meagan.

If you don’t like washing dishes like me you can avoid the double burner. You can put chocolate chips, or broken up chocolate pieces from a bar into paper cupcake liners on a baking sheet or in cupcake tins. Then just put them in the oven at 200 degrees or so for about 3-5 mins until chips get all melty. Then take out the cookie sheet and give each cup a stir with a knife or spoon to smooth them out to cover the whole bottom of the cupcake liner (doesnt have to be perfect no one will see it). then add the pb mixture made into flattened patties and more chips for the top layer. Remelt top layer in the oven and smooth melted chips over with a knife, you can even make a pretty swirly. Also if you don’t want to use graham crackers you can make a pb mixture with 1 part pb, 1 part confectioners sugar and salt and vanilla extract to taste. (using this method with out the paintbrush sometimes results in a streak of pb being visible on the side view but I think it looks cool that way)
    : ) happy baking

29. Are you kidding me? I can make my own? You deserve a medal… and possibly a boycott of all your posts. I can’t take this much sugary goodness within such easy reach. Change this place over to Pete Steams or something. My scale would appreciate it.

30. Brooke says:

Thanks Pete! These came out SO yummy! And for my first candy making experience–so easy! The only change we’ll make next time is doubling the PB mixture. The only liners we found were a bit bigger, so there was minimal PB in each. But whatever, they were still amazing! Thanks for sharing.

31. Dena says:

I made a test batch with the dark chocolate and found it was too dark for my taste. When I made them for a baby shower I switched to milk chocolate. We also heated the peanut butter mixture and that made it easy to put into a zip lock bag and squeeze into the chocolate. So good! I can’t believe these are this easy – thanks Pete!

32. Marcie says:

Oh, Pete. Excellent. I have a whole new fan base.

33. Josh says:

You sir, are a god

34. kazzles says:

Hi, these look so yummy! I am just wondering what Graham crackers are as we dont’ have these in my country and I am trying to figure out what a substitute is. Thanks

• Barbara says:

To: @kazzles

I just made these and crumbled up digestive biscuits make a great substitute for graham crackers.

Like an earlier poster, I would up the amount of peanut butter mixture as there wasn’t enough.

35. Laura says:

Tuccelli makes a great Jumbo Gourmet Peanut Butter cup. All of their products are hand made to order. They also make a great peppermint pattie.

36. Barbara says:

Hey Pete and Everyone,

I made these yesterday and they are delicious but very, very messy – the chocolate melts on your fingers instantaneously. I used Lindt’s Excellence that has 70% cocoa and it melted with no problem on a double-boiler and set easily in the freezer. But it’s hard get it from cupcake liner to mouth without your hands becoming chocolate-coated (I know, tough life). I’m thinking maybe because of the higher cocoa content? Anyone have the same problem and/or have an idea for a remedy? Many thanks!

• ChocoNut says:

Made these over the weekend and they are awesome, the wife went nuts over them. We didn’t have 60-70 percent laying around but mixed a little 54% semi-sweet chips with some 100% bakers chocolate and it turned out really well. And as Barbara said a couple replies up they are very messy and short of finding chocolate that melts at a higher temperature (it melts just below body temp) nothing can really be done except enjoy the goodness of licking your fingers clean! :)

• Lex. says:

Tempering your chocolate also helps. It looks daunting but it really very easy. It also makes them pretty and shiny like store bought!

37. YUM!!!!!!! What is not to like!???? Love this :)

38. Dan says:

These are super sexy! The look awesome!

39. sam says:

I hate peanut butter. Awful.

40. Mary Coleman says:

Well Pete, I just stumbleuponed this post and I’m totally blown away. I’m making these immediately for me Reese’s Cup obsessed husband!
    Beautiful job and great blog!

41. Otto says:

Those look awesome, and I had to comment….damn near the best thing in the world for treats like this, is silicone muffin ‘papers’. I have a whack of ‘micro’ sized ones that I use when I make ganache tarts. You paint the melted chocolate on, like in your example, and after a couple of mins in the fridge, after they have been filled, the silicone releases like magic.
    Love the site!

42. Jennifer says:

Looks great – I’ve actually been craving these for a week now. FYI, I work in the office of a supermarket and about a week ago one of the candy vendors dropped off the Dark Chocolate Reese’s Cups so be on the lookout in your local stores! If it’s coming to Hawaii it should definitely be in a store on the mainland!

43. Jen says:

Ooooh, I wish I could just reach into the computer and grab these delicious looking morsels! Wonderful.

44. Kristin says:

I remember these!!! I am sooooo making some!
    Thanks for sharing!!!

45. […] it would be that complicated. There are directions along with some awesome photos on a blog called Pete Bakes Very nice. Check it […]

46. Wow! This is heaven!I miss this little cups, and thanks to you, I can make em at home!

47. Basiltime says:

Wow, these look amazing! I’m going to give these a try. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Basiltime

48. My boyfriend at boot camp has been begging for home-made peanut butter cups. I used this recipe today, sending it out tomorrow. Except I added 1 tsp of Frangelico to the melted chocolate, and a bit of sea salt to the filling. I wrote a blog post about it: http://cptjdanger.blogspot.com/2009/09/chocolate-par-avion.html
    With the Frangelico, I think next time I’ll use a lighter chocolate. (I used 60% this time around and it was POTENT.)

49. Adrianna says:

I am sitting right now in my office and just cannot wait to go hame and try the recipe out! Firstly it looks amazing and very healthy (especially if you make your own peanut butter and use dark chocolate without soja-lecithine). I just love both ingredients and because of you now the rest 2h I have to spend at work will be EXCRUTIATING!!! :DD

By the way, if any of you happen to be in Berlin, try out the biggest chocolate shop in the world (at Gendarmentmarkt “Fassbender&Rausch”). You will flip after you have tasted “Tembadoro 80%” chocolate :DDD
    Greets!

50. So Pete, you are right on target about using bittersweet chocolate and using a brush, but that brush in the photo looks a little large. A clean artist’s brush works well. Also, try powdering your hand with confectioner’s sugar, rolling the filing into balls and placing them in the cups. Doubling up on the paper cups is a good idea. You can also buy stronger gold foil cups. It’s difficult to handle those chocolate cups without getting finger prints on them. Why not just serve them in the paper cups? Just a few thoughts on this ethereal treat.

51. anonumus says:

I am going to make theese for my sisters birthday party and her bachloreete party. What can you say girls love chocolate

52. Mike Casdia says:

What store do they sell the Dark chocolate peanut cups in Philadelphia. Can’t seem to find them.

53. Cindy says:

I think I died and went to heaven!!! I love anything chocolate but these are just splendiferous!! Another hint for melting chocolate..I use Hershey’s milk chocolate and Special Dark Chocolate mixed and melt it in a mini crock pot! It’s easy. Thanks for the visuals too! Makes my mouth water just thinking about them.

54. […] yet deliciously worth it.  The following is scaled up, spiced for the holidays, and based on Pete’s recipe: Peanut Butter […]

55. Kathie Funk says:

Awesome Peanut Butter Cups. I love all chocolate and everything made with chocolate. Pete , where are you miss your recipes. Hope to get a new email shortly.Love the website

56. Lacey says:

Do they store in the freezer or the fridge? I’m thinking of making them ahead of time. Thanks!

57. […] To see the full set of instructions, visit this blog. […]

58. EdaBy says:

Beautifully and apparently tasty. Thank you.

59. Evo says:

I was wondering about storage too, but then I realized… how long are these cups going to be around for? Not long!

60. Holly Wade says:

I made these a few nights ago and I have to tell you that your recipe is incredible! Totally delicious! I had a mini muffin tin that I placed in the freezer while I got the chocolate melted and put my paper liners in that. I used a fork to smooth the chocolate up the sides of the cups. Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups from my own kitchen! Thank you!

61. […] recipe is adapted from pete bakes! blog.  The real secret is to add the graham crackers to the peanut butter mixture because it […]

62. […] to the addition of crushed up graham crackers (!!) — I know, right? This recipe was found @ Pete Bakes, and for how surprisingly easy (and delicious!) they are, will surely be made again. Overheard: […]

63. Sleepy says:

Hi, Pete.

This is exactly what I have been looking for. My BF loves reese’s butter cups but theyre a bit hard to get hold of in Ireland so Im lovign the chance to try this recipe out for him.

Im terrible at recipes though when cups are involved. Are they US standard cups or UK?

64. tomz says:

i think would better than reese’s. must have a bite. i have my meizitang diet pills anyway.

65. […] I LOVE PB Cups In fact I have a knock off PB cup recipe Which one do you use? I tried this one. dark chocolate peanut butter cup recipe | pete bakes! __________________ Paula Archer & Ezra's Mom '10 Cards: 21 Items/LO: 3 Gallery […]

66. people use graham cracker crumbs. However these are loaded with many other ingredients not necessary for peanut butter filling such as, graham flour, corn syrup, leavening, and not to mention sugar and salt. When you eat a Reese’s peanut butter cup, the texture you feel are tiny little pieces of – peanuts.
    buttercups cupcakes

67. […] Kitchen Almond Butter Cookies on Gluten Free Girl and the Chef Almond Soba Noodles on 101 Cookbooks Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups on Pete Bakes! Elizabeth November 22nd, 2010 |  Print This […]

68. Zach says:

If you want to try an excellent commercial variety of these (and live in canada) check out The Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. They use w/out a doubt some of the best chocolate and peanut butter imaginable…

69. Those dark chocolate peanut butter cups look absolutely delectable. I just can’t wait to try this wonderful recipe.

70. […] even a peanut butter person and I dug ‘em. Here are a few pics, and the recipe (adapted from here) is […]

71. I make those and use our Chocolate that I temper in my tempeing unit,The tempemping units makes the Chocolates have a snap and a glossy look.Of course our chocolates are real cocoa butter chocolates and that makes also a difference in flavor.

72. […] Peanut Butter Cups (adapted from Peter Andrew Ryan) Yield: 12 peanut butter […]

73. […] than the ones pictured because they’re not lumpy on top, but I just made a bunch of these dark chocolate peanut butter cups. I made them partly because I wanted to use these little Halloween baking cups I had, and partly […]

74. workingirl says:

This tastes like garbage. Take this down please. Seriously I used your recipe and my husband has been sick for three days. He had to call out of work and he lost his job and our house is about to get foreclosed on. Thanks a lot. I guess this is your idea of a joke, asshole!

75. Keisha says:

Looks yummy, fun to make with the kids! Do you know how many calories this treat has, and can you substitute agave nectar or raw sugar in place of powder sugar? Thx

76. There are actually plenty of particulars like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to convey.

© 2014 pete bakes! | powered by WordPress with Barecity | about | recipes | archives | RSS